- Explain diffraction of light.
- What is the difference between diffraction and interference?
- Distinguish between Fraunhoffer and Fresnel’s classes of Diffraction.
- What is the significance of this phenomenon?
- Object of what size is needed to diffract a light wave?
- Why is diffraction easily observed for sound waves but not light waves?
Plane Transmission Grating:
- What is a plane transmission grating?
- What is reflection grating?
- Define grating Element.
- What is the effect of increasing the number lines per cm of the grating on the diffraction pattern?
- What type of grating is used in the experiment?
- Distinguish between a grating and prismatic spectra.
- What will happen if you illuminate the slit with white light?
- What happens if the ruled surface of the grating faces the collimator?
- What are the uses of a diffraction grating?
- Does the separation of spectral lines remain the same in different orders of the spectra?
- In the experiment on diffraction grating what kind of diffraction occurs and how?
Resolving and Dispersive Power
- Define ‘resolving power’ and ‘dispersive power’. How are they mathematically expressed?
- What is Rayleigh’s criterion for resolution?
- Upon what factors does the resolving power of a grating depend?
- The twosodium lines appear as separate in the 2nd order but not in the first order. Why?
- Upon what factors does the dispersive power of a grating depend?
- Differentiate between dispersive power and resolving power of a grating.
- What will happen to the dispersive power if the number of lines in the same space is doubled?
- How can one increase the resolving power of the grating, keeping the same dispersive power?
Ph.D. researcher at Friedrich-Schiller University Jena, Germany. I’m a physicist specializing in computational material science. I write efficient codes for simulating light-matter interactions at atomic scales. I like to develop Physics, DFT, and Machine Learning related apps and software from time to time. Can code in most of the popular languages. I like to share my knowledge in Physics and applications using this Blog and a YouTube channel.