by Manas Sharma (Phys Whiz)
The crystal visualizer tool is available for Windows, and Android devices. The visualizer enables the users to open popular .cif format files, to visualize the crystal structures of any compound. Even molecular structures can be visualized by opening popular .xyz format files. The visualizer is built using a gaming engine (Unity3d) ensuring stellar, never-before seen graphics on any other molecule/crystal visualizer. This makes the app really useful for researchers to prepare illustrations and figures for their research papers, thesis and dissertation. The app lets the users visualize lattice planes, and draw vectors to indicate electric/magnetic fields. Users can model supercells, monolayers (thin film/quantum well) or quantum dots. One can also edit the structures to create a vacancy or introduce an impurity. There is also a feature that lets you draw your own custom 3D molecule/ nanocluster. Structures can also be analyzed by measuring the bond angles and lengths. Although, the app is quite straight-forward to use, high quality YouTube tutorials and documentation will get you up to speed in no time. If you find a bug or have any queries or want to request a feature you can post your question here: http://physwhiz.bragitoff.com with the tag ‘CrysX‘.
Download (Latest Version)
Android: APK / Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bragitoff.CrysXViewer
Windows: CrysX- 3D Viewer version 1.4 Windows
Download (Older versions)
Android: APK / Play Store:
- Go to this link on the Google Play Store using any Android device.
- Click install.
- Run the app from your Android phone.
- Give permission to access storage when the dialog box appears.
- Download the latest version of the application using the link given above.
- The downloaded file is a zip file. Unzip it.
- Find and Run the file called CrysX-3D Viewer.exe.
Sample readable (CIF and XYZ) Files
- Download the readable crystal/molecule files from the download link above.
- The file is a zip file. Extract/Unzip the contents.
- Place the contents to a folder that is easily accessible to you.
- Run the app. Click on the ‘Folder icon’ in the upper-left corner.
- Browse to the location you stored the files you just downloaded and extracted.
- Change the filter to CIF if you want to open .cif files or change it to XYZ if you want to open .xyz files.
The software is completely free to use. Although donations are welcome if you like it. Please cite us if you use it in academic work, such as a research paper, article, dissertation, or a thesis.
How to cite us?
The recommended way to cite CrysX – 3D Viewer is:
CrysX – 3D Viewer: an Android and Windows application for visualizing and modelling crystal structures and molecules in 3D. https://www.bragitoff.com/crysx-3d-viewer/