(verb) Meaning: to hesitate or stop before an obstacle; may be used for a pitcher in baseball, where he stops suddenly before throwing the ball;
image sentence: The horse balked before the jump throwing the poor rider off.
Synonyms: resist, unwilling to, hesitate over, baffle, shy from, flinch from, reluctant to, draw back from, dodge
Antonyms: advance, accept, yield, submit, comply
Other sentences with the word balk in them/ How to use ‘balk’ in a sentence?
1. Even the police officers balked to arrest a man of his stature.
2. My dog always balks when he gets the slightest of the hint that I’m going to bathe him.
3. I always balk at commitments.
4. Many people balk at purchasing expensive goods off the internet.
5. People balk at investing their hard earned money in a risky business.
6. Parents often balk at letting their children drive the car.
7. I have a tendency to balk at extra-efforts.
First known use/Origin:
What made you want to look up balk? Please write in the comments the phrase/sentence you heard or read it. Also write some suggestions for the examples of sentences with the word, i.e. how to use it in a sentence